L e s o t h o
Lesotho wordt geheel omsloten door Zuid-Afrika. Bij de onafhankelijkheid op 4 oktober 1966 kreeg het toenmalige Basutoland de naam Koninkrijk Lesotho. Een gekozen regering werd in ere hersteld in 1993. De hoofdstad van Lesotho is Maseru. Het land is lid van het Gemenebest.
Reisboeken en landkaarten
zie rechterkolom voor bestelinformatie
* FLEMINGER, David - Lesotho (Southbound Pocket Guides), uitg.: Southbound Publishers (2010), ISBN 9781920143268, paperback, 176 blz., Ä21,80
The tiny country of Lesotho is entirely surrounded by South Africa, yet it remains one of the most remote and unexplored areas in the region. The reason for this isolation is the mountains -- row upon row of serrated peaks make this the country with the highest 'low point' in the world. But the mountains that give Lesotho its dramatic landscapes have also played a crucial role in creating a country with a unique history. It's a stirring story of courage and cunning, featuring remarkable individuals such as King Moshoeshoe -- founder of the Basotho nation -- who first gathered people together on the flat-topped hill Thaba Bosiu, the mountain of night. Today, Lesotho is an irresistible lure to adventurous travellers who want to head off the beaten path and tackle the mighty mountains. But Lesotho isn't as inaccessible as it seems. The country is bisected by a number of tarred and gravel roads and these lead the motorist on jaw-dropping drives through some of the highest mountains this side of Kilimanjaro. Small rural villages nestle on the slopes, much as they have done for over 200 years, and delightful lodges are tucked away in secluded valleys. All in all, it's a land of secret vistas and pristine scenery. This book is the first travel guide dedicated solely to Lesotho. It will give the traveller an insight into the remarkable history of the country. Suggested itineraries are included, along with accommodation options, leisure activities and other useful information for trip-planning.
* LONELY PLANET - South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland (9e ed. nov.2012), ISBN 9781741798005, paperback, 640 blz., bevat 48 blz. kleurenfoto's en 105 kaartjes, Ä23,90
This guide covers: Cape Town, Western Cape, Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Free State, Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, Limpopo, North-West Province, Northern Cape, Lesotho, Swaziland. ēColour wildlife section ēDetailed maps ēExpanded itineraries to take you from cape to coast ēGuides to the major national parks ēRecommended accommodation
* LONELY PLANET - Southern Africa Travel Guide, uitg.: Lonely Planet Publications, (6e ed. aug. 2013), ISBN 9781741798890, paperback, 720 blz., bevat beschrijvingen van Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South African, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe, Ä28,90
* ITMB - Lesotho and Swaziland Travel Reference Map 1:350.000/1:200.000, (2e ed. 2019) ISBN 9781771294386, Ä11,95
Lesotho is quite mountainous, with a poorly developed road network, so is a travel adventure destination. It occupies side 1 of the map, along with an inset of Maseru, the capital. Swaziland, which has recently changed its name for local purposes to Eswatini, occupies side 2, with an inset of Mbabane, its capital. Both countries are easy to access from South Africa, and are well worth visiting. We have also added two lists showing the Top Attractions of both countries. Both are land-locked countries either adjacent to or surrounded by South Africa; both are essentially agricultural countries, although Lesothoís mountainous terrain offers considerable touristic appeal, particularly the Sani Pass.
* * * Reisboekhandel INTERGLOBE, Vinkenburgstraat 7, 3512 AA Utrecht * * *